We will never be able to match the genius of the person who invented the twice baked potatoes. However we think we've gotten pretty darn close with this Twice Baked Potato Casserole. We transform the foil lined side into a creamy, cheesy casserole that instantly become a weeknight meal staple.
We have stuffed full of your favorite loaded potato toppings like bacon, scallions and cheddar. But, you can feel free to add any other mix-isn you like! It's an easy no fuss way to turn simple baked potatoes into something extravagant that gives you the perfect bite every time.
If you gave this casserole a shot, let us know how it went in the comments below!
Editor's Note: This page was updated on August 27, 2021 to include a video.
large russet potatoes (about 3 1/2 lb.)
butter, softened, plus more for pan
cream cheese, softened
shredded cheddar, divided
slices cooked bacon, crumbled
green onions, sliced
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place potatoes directly on rack and bake until soft and easily pierced with the tip of a knife, 1 hour to 1 hour, 15 minutes, depending on size. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Slice warm potatoes in half and remove flesh with a spoon and place in a large bowl; discard skin.
- Mash flesh and add butter, cream cheese, sour cream and milk and stir to combine and until butter and cream cheese is melted. Fold in 2 cups cheddar, three quarters of the bacon, three quarters of the chopped green onion, and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush a medium baking dish with butter and transfer potato mixture into dish. Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheddar cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melty, about 20 minutes. Turn oven to broil and broil until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Top with remaining bacon and green onions.